Early Transactions 1912-25

Transactions – Volume I

Preliminary & initial Meetings

First Meeting 2 Nov 1912
Camborne Association of Engineers at special meeting on 26 Oct 1912 decided to attempt to enlarge the scope of Association by inviting co-operation of all interested in Mining, Ore Dressing and Engineering in Cornwall & Devon to make a centre for discussion of matters relating to Mining and for the collection and circulation of mining information and statistics.

Jas Keast, President presided and 40 attended.

The President reviewed previous history. The Mining Association of Cornwall & Devon formed in 1859 and the Mining Institute of Cornwall formed in 1871 eventually amalgamated to form the Mining Association and Institute of Cornwall but eventually this became moribund. The West Country Camber of Mines was formed in 1901 and in 1905 a proposal to was made to amalgamate it with the Mining Association and Institute of Cornwall under the name of the London and West Country Mining Association but this never came to fruition. The Chamber of Mines survived for only a few more years.

This history showed that it was not easy to promote and maintain such a society but which he felt should flourish in Cornwall although there was wide agreement that there was a need for such a society.

The Camborne Association of Engineers was what he described as “A young and modest  society, composed chiefly of persons engaged in mechanical engineering.” Although small and confined to a limited area, it was fairly successful and its members wanted to extend its operation. It would be willing to cease to exist of it might help to give life to a better and wider institution. That was the reason this meeting had been called.

The general discussion centred on the various reasons that the other associations had not succeeded, mainly the difficulties of getting men to present papers and getting sufficient finance. However, it was agreed that the formation of something along the lines of the Chamber of Mines  should be formed and that a committee should be formed to draft a scheme and report back on ways and means to a meeting to be held in Camborne at an early date.

The members of the Committee were:
Messrs. Ben. Angwin, Josiah Blight, J.J. Beringer, F.C. Cann, J Caspell, A.B. Climas, Nicholas Curry, H.E. Fern, R.D. Gill, L.A. Hards, H.W. Hutchin, Jos. Jennings, E.S. King, Jas. C. Keast, W. Middlin, Josiah Paull, T.H. Prisk, F. W. Thomas, William Thomas. Mr Josiah Blight was appointed Secretary, pro tem.

First Committee Meeting 23 Nov 1912
Chaired by J C Keast, and attended by Ben. Angwin, J.J. Beringer, F.C. Cann J Caspell, A.B. Climas, R.D. Gill, H.W. Hutchin, Josiah Paull and with J Blight as pro tem Secretary, the Committee examined draft schemes prepared by Messrs. Fern and Blight and agreed that they should be circulated to Mining, China Clay, Tin Smelting and Engineering companies. The meeting was adjourned until 7 Dec  to await responses.

Second Committee Meeting 7 Dec 1912
Chaired by J C Keast, and attended by B Angwin, J Beringer, J Caspell, L A Hards, H Hutchin, L Hards, J Paull and J Blight (Secretary).

The draft schemes had been sent out to 74 companies and replies, all favourable, had been received from 15. The Committee agreed, rather optimistically, that this showed there was sufficient interest to carry on and that a meeting should be convened on 4 Jan 1913 to discuss its recommendation that steps be taken to establish an Institute. Its chief objects would be to to consider any questions relating to the Cornish mining industry and promote discussion thereon; to collect statistics and other information relating to the mining industry. It proposed that subscriptions should be 10/- for Members and 3/- for Associates. It was also proposed to establish a Committee  to draft a Constitution and By-Laws for approval at a subsequent meeting.
Mr J. J. Beringer volunteered to open discussion at the  meeting on 4th January with talk on “The Assaying of Tin in Mines”.

Second General Meeting. 4 Jan 1913
The meeting was chaired by Mr J. C. Keast and attended by around 50 persons.
Mr Keast said that many useful suggestions had been received but in general they were too complicated to be adopted at this stage although some wording changes had been made for clarification.

The Committee recommended that:
That an Institute  be formed to consider any questions connected with the mining industry in Devon and Cornwall; to promote technical and other discussions; to collect and circulate statistics and other information relating to the industry.

At the outset subscriptions should be 10/- for Members and 5/- for Associates

That a Committee be specially appointed to draft a Constitution and By-Laws and recommend a first list of officers and Council, with the whole to be submitted to a subsequent meeting

Mr Fern had notified his wish to retire from the present Committee and Mr J Rowe was elected in his place and with this change it was agreed that the Committee elected at the meeting on 2 Nov 1912 was to draft a Constitution and By-Laws and to recommend a first list of Officers and members of Council.

There was almost unanimous agreement by those present that they would join such an Institute if it was formed.

A general discussion was opened by Mr J.J. Beringer of the Camborne Mining School on “The Assaying of Tin in Mines”.

The existing Committee would meet again on 11 Jan 1913 to follow up the decisions made at this meeting.

Third Committee Meeting. 11 Jan 1913
The Committee recommended the following be appointed as Officers in the new Association:

President: Mr Josiah Paul, Manager, South Crofty Mine.
Vice-Presidents: Mr J. J. Beringer & Mr J.C.Keast, both of Camborne Mining School.
Treasurer: Mr H. W. Hutchin, Camborne
Secretaries: Mr Josiah Blight, South Crofty Mine & Mr William Thomas, Camborne.

Council:
Mining: Mr F. C. Cann, Manager, St. Ives Consols Mines; Mr A. B. Climas, Manager, Botallack Mine; Mr Ernest Gordon, Manager Boswin Mines; Mr Jos. Jennings, Manager East Pool & Wheal Agar; Mr Ernest Terrell, Manager Wheal Jewell and Mary Tavy Mine.

Mechanical: Mr Ben Angwin, East Pool & Agar; Mr Nicks Curry, Messrs. Holman Bros Camborne; Mr R.D. Gill, Camborne; Mr L.A. Hards, Camborne Electrical Supply Co.; Mr Jack Row, Dolcoath Mine.

Metallurgical: Mr R. H. Berryman, East Pool and Agar; Mr J. A. Campbell, St Ives Consols Mines; Mr E. C. Gray, Gwithian Sands; Mr William James, South Crofty Mine; Mr F. J. Tonks, Dolcoath Mine.

Third General Meeting. I Feb 1913
The nominations for Officers and Council Members were accepted.
Mr J Caspell gave a demonstration of the “New Tin Assaying Process” described by J.J. Beringer of the Camborne Mining School at the meeting held on 4th January.

Fourth General Meeting. I Mar 1913
The President said previous meetings had been of preliminary nature and this meeting was really the FIRST GENERAL MEETING OF THE MEMBERS OF THE CORNISH INSTITUTE OF MINING, MECHANICAL AND METALLURGICAL ENGINEERS.

The Constitution and By-Laws proposed by the Committee were read out by the Secretary. They were to be made available for inspection by members at the Offices of the Institute for a period of 4 weeks ending 29th March 1913.
Members were to send any suggestions for changes to the Secretary.
A meeting to adopt the Constitution and By-Laws were to be held on 5th April 1913.
Until other arrangements were made Offices would be at Market Place, Camborne, “by favour of Mr William Thomas.

The meeting concluded with a talk by Mr H. W. Hutchin on “The Nature of Cornish Tin Ores”

(GW note: The notes on this talk took up 18 pages in the Proceedings. Beringer’s talk at the 2nd meeting needed only 3 pages and that by Mr Caspell at the 3rd meeting only 4 pages.)

Fifth General Meeting. 5 Apr 1913  (GBW Note. This should really be described as the Second General Meeting of the CIE.)
The President said the Council had just concluded a meeting to fully revise the Constitution and By-Laws. No formal written suggestions had been made but one or two wording changes had been made for clarification.
The Council had decided to define the word “Associate” so as to distinctly encourage the inclusion of Foremen, both surface and underground in the Institute.
The Constitution and By-Laws were both formally adopted.
The meeting concluded with a paper by Mr William Thomas on “Losses in the Treatment of Cornish Tin Ores”.

Sixth General Meeting. 3 May 1913
The President, Josiah Paull, MIMM, gave a talk on “ The Advantages of Graduate Crushing”.
There was no other business.

Summer Meeting, 30 Aug 1913
A visit was made to the National Explosive Company, Ltd, Hayle. A tour of the works was conducted by the Manager, Mr W Bate, and Messrs. C. Harrison, Kirkhope and Sara.

End of Session Report
Volume 1 of the Transactions concluded with membership figures and a draft programme for the 1913/14 Session commencing in October 1913.
The total membership was 109 Members and 10 Annual Subscribers. Of the Members there were
7 in London; 2 in North Nigeria; 1 in Central Provinces, India; 1 in Glasgow and 1 in Tunbridge Wells.Two of the annual Subscribers were in London.
The programme for the 1913/14 session was:
Oct 4th: The Application of Electricity in Cornish Mining. L A Hards
Nov 8th: Comparative Costs of Mine Power Equipment. R D Gill
Dec 13th: Discussion on Previous Two Papers.
Jan 10th: Compressed Air; Its Transmission  and Application. Ernest Terrell
Feb 14th: The North Entral Lodes. J Jennings
Mar 5th: The Geological history of Cornish Tin Lodes. T C F Hall
Apr 4th: Some Boiler Explosions and their Lessons. H howard Reed
May 7th: The Tin Lodes in the St Agnes District. T H Prisk

Transactions Volume II

1913 –1914 Session

This volume, published in late 1914, opens with an apology from the Editor for the lateness of the publication which was due to his having volunteered for service with the Cornwall Territorial Forces Association and this had kept him too busy to attend to other things. It also includes a letter from a Committee set up following the AGM held on 14th Feb 1914 and which is ported later in the volume.

First General Meeting. 4 Oct 1913
The Application of Electricity in Cornish Mining. L A Hards, AIEE.
This paper included a table listing the electrical power equipment installed in a number of mines by the Cornwall Electrical Power Company in 1913, the electricity coming form the new Power station at Hayle. There was a short discussion but the main discussion was scheduled for the December meeting. There was no other business.

Second General Meeting. 8th Nov 1913
A Comparison of the Costs of Mine Power Plant. R.D. Gill, AMIMechE, AAIEE.
Detailed calculations were shown although they were not based on actual mines. Based on amine producing 200tons/day arranged for an ultimate depth of 2000 ft and dealing with 300 gallons on water per minute. Three schemes were examined:
Using steam for all operations.
Steam for main operations and generation of electrical power for more scattered plant.
Purchase electrical power from a power company for all operations.
The calculations showed capital cost, including plant, for the tree schemes were: a. £30,200,
£27,300. c. £15000. Operating costs, per annum, for the three schemes  were given as
£14900, b. £14525, c. £14150.
Lantern slides were used to illustrate the talk. There was a brief discussion  during which L A Hards said that Gill had made a good case  for the use of electricity. J Blight said the he had made “A good case for the Cornwall Electric Power company!”

There was no other business.

Third General Meeting. 13 Dec 1913
This took the form of a discussion of the papers presented at the October and November meetings. The notes on this lengthy discussion take up 44 pages in the proceedings.
The President announced that in future papers would be printed and distributed to Members before the meetings.The Institute had had sufficient financial support promised during the last few days to pay for this.
There was no other business.

Fourth General Meeting. 10 Jan 1914
Compressed Air, Its Transmission and Application. Ernest Terrell, MIMM.
This paper was distributed before the meeting which was therefore entirely concerned with a discussion of the paper. Terrell said that parts of the paper used information concerning the plants at Wheal Jewell and Marytavy.
There was no other business.

AGM 14 Feb 1914.
At Mining School. President, Jos Paull.
Council Report accepted
Wm Thomas explained that the Secretary and Treasurers had prepared the accounts for the year ending 31 Dec 1913. and they were audited by Godfrey T Vivian
Income for past year (to 31 Dec 1913) £90/11/6. Expenditure £84/5/11. Balance £6/5/7

Membership Members 131, Associates 46, Annual Subscribers. Total 190
Estimates income for 1914 based on membership £115.
Attendance at meetings generally exceeded 70 and on one or two occasions exceeded 90.
The Officers and Members of Council were elected
President: Josiah Paull. Vice Presidents: J J Berringer, Joseph Jennings, James C Keast.
Mining: F C Cann, AB Clemis, J Faull, F Gordon, Ernest Terrell
Mechanical: Ben Angwin, Nicholas Curry, R D Gill, LA Hards, John Rowe
Metallurgical; R H Berryman, J Caspell, E Gray, Wm James, F C Tonks.

Mr Hutchin was re-elected as Treasurer Messrs. Harry Nettle, Godfrey T Vivian were elected to be Auditors
Messrs Harry Nettle, Godfrey T Vivian were elected to be members of the Association for 1914.
At the conclusion of the AGM Mr Joseph Jennings, A Inst MM delivered his paper on “The North Entral Lodes”.
The meeting concluded with a discussion on this paper.

Sixth General Meeting. 31 Mar 1914
“The Geological History of Cornish Lodes”, T C F Hall FGS, AMIM.
The meeting concluded after a discussion on this paper.

Seventh General Meeting. 14 Apr 1914
“Some Boiler Explosions and their Lessons” J Howard Reed.
This talk was supported by about 60 lantern slides many reproducted from photographs  taken after the boiler explosions.
The meeting concluded after abrief discusion.

Eighth General Meeting. 16 May 1914
“The Lodes of the St Agnes District” J S Whitworth.
This included references to the richness of some lodes in this area. As an example he mwntioned that in March  1750 large blocks were taken to Callenick Smelting Works without being stamped or dressed. One block weighed 664 pounds and yielded 57.5 % and the other weighed 1200 pounds although the yield was not given.
Note that during this meeting Mr A Ernest Thomas made reference to the “Camborne School of Mines” although it ws usually called the “Camborne Mining School”
The attendance at this lecture was over 100 and included a number of students from the Royal School of Mines.
After the discussion the President said that the Committee set up to carry out the Geological Investigation had started work  before closing the meeting.

Transactions Volumes III and IV

1914 -1915 and 1915 -1916 Sessions

Volume III
These two volumes were bound together published in 1916. Volume III is badly organised some names and dates are missing.
It starts with a letter from the 1914 -15 President, Joseph Jennings written from the President written on board the Union Castle SS Llanstephen Castle on 6th April 1915 . The concluding papragraph is worth noting: “ Cornish Mining interests must necessarily suffer through increased prices of materials and the fluctuating values of produce under the existing war conditions but am confident that the times of successand prosperity will return.”
There follows a paper delivered on an unspecified date: “Lubrication of Modern High Speed Gas and Oil Engines”. T C Thomson, AMIME.
The Chairman’s name is not given and the paper abruptly changes into the discussion. Notes on the discussion took up 16 pages in the Trannsactions, half the length on the main paper.
There was no other business.

General Meeting, Saturday, March 20th 1915.
“Compressed Air; Its use in Mines” Ben Angwin WSc, AMIM.
As at some previous meetings the notes on the discussion took up more space in the transaction than the paper itself; 18 pages against 16.

Volume IV
There is no record of an AGM in 1915 but Volume IV starts with a statement of Accounts and a list of the Oficers and Council Members for 1916 -1917.
Accounts for the year ending 31 Dec 1915
Receipts
Balance in Treasurers’s Hands    £6/5/7
Subscriptions 1914/15        £80/19/-
Subscriptions paid in advance    £18/5/6
Sale of Transactions, Vol I        £2/5/-
TOTAL RECEIPTS                    £218/5/1

Expenditure:
Postage & stationery including:
Tranactions vol II & Papers in advance
Camborne Printing Company    £82/1/5
W Thomas                £27/-/-
E Thompson                £2/8/0
R S Behanna            £0/10/-
£91/19/5

Meetings:
Mining School Room Hire        £4/4/-
Cleaning, etc.            £1/-/-
£5/4/0

Salaries
W Thomas (Including Office)    £60/-/-
J Blight                £20/-/-

Postage & Sundry Expenses    £14/8/3
Balance in Treasurer’s Hands    £26/5/1
TOTAL EXPENDITURE                £218/5/1

Signed off by Auditors T Berryman & H Nettle, Nov 30 1916

Officers and Council Members for 1916
President: Mr L A Hards.
Vice Presidents: F C Cann; J Caspell; R D Gill
Past Pesidents: Josiah Paull, Joseph Jennings
Council Members
Mining: J W Chenhall, J Faull, W Hosking, M T Taylor, Ernest Terrell.
Mechanical: Ben Angwin,CD Bartle, N Curry, R D Gill, John Rowe
Metallurgical: R H Berryman, E H Davison, T C F Hall, W James, W Mill.
Treasurer: H W Hutchin
Secretaries Joseph Blight, William Thomas.

There follows a note from the editor, William Thomas:
“The delay in publishing Volume III of the transactions was unavoidable. An attempt to make amends for this delay by publishing Vols III and IV together has been, to some extent, interfered with by the Editor’s increased military duties and also by the fact that the printers have been short of hands.”

Meeting, ? Nov, 1915
Mr H Dixon of Bristol explained that he was proposing a method of chemically extracting tin from ore and waste products and began to demonstrate a series of experiments on ores and less refracing ores from Cornish and Devon mines. As the experiments needed time for completion the meeting was adjourned until Monday 27th November when Mr Dixon came back  for a discussion after which it was concluded that the experiments were discouraging and Mr Dixon was advised to go away and confine his expriments to pure cassiterite.

At the end of this meeting Mr Trewartha-James announced that the Privy Council would probably make a substantial grant to help original research concerning the metallurgy of tin. He suggested that the CIE should be inclued

Following upon the General Meeting held on Nov 27th 1915, the Council met on Dec 1st 1915 with Mr Trewortha-James on the subject of Mettalurgical research. The following resolution was unanimously carried:– That the Secretaries communicate ith the Institution of Mining and Metallurgy and with Mr Trewartha-James, intimating that the Cornish Institute of Engineers would like to be associated with the metalurgical research scheme and are seriously desirous of placing their services at the disposal of the IMM in the matter; also the attention of the Council of the IMM be drawn to the Scheme of Geological Investigation prepared by the Council of the CIE with a view to ascertaining whether the geological investigation could be included in the larger scheme.

The scheme is in active operation. The following have been appointed to the Cornish Tin and Tungsten Research Committee and are acting in co-operation with the Central Direction Committee in London:
F C Cann, St Ives Consolidated Mines; J Jenner, Hayle; T Knowles, Camborne Mining School; J Paull, South Crofty Mine; A Richards, Cornwall Tailings Company; M T Taylor, East Pool and Agar Mines; Ernest Terrell, Wheal Jewell and Marytavy Mines; P Arthur Thomas, Dolcoath Mine; William Thomas, Tincroft Mine; William Thomas, Market Place, Camborne.”

Second General Meeting. 27th Jan 1916
“Destructive Mining”, Major T M Lowry, MC
Major lowry, Commanding 173rd Tunneling Company of the Royal Engineers asked that no notes on the meeting should be taken.
A vote of thanks was passed by the very large audience.

Third General Meeting. 29th Jan 1916
“Mine Drainage”, Joseph Blight.
This lengthy paper took up 37 pages of the Transactions. The notes on the ensuing discussion took up 7 pages but the disussion was adjourned until March 4th following the AGM. The notes occupied a further 27 pages in the Tranactions.

Annual General Meeting. 4th March 1916
R D Gill presided since L A Hards was ill with flu.
The financial report was delayed until the next meeting.
Council Report
It had been difficult to obtain papers and it had been advisable to postpone the 1915 AGM and some other meetings and to work on a less ambitious scale. The income had slightly decreased and arrears had increased to £40 some of which was due to members being in active service and it was considered to be recoverable.
Election of Officers and Council Members for 1916
See P7 above.

The meeting concluded with the rest of the discussion on Blight’s paper on mine drainage. A large amount of time was spent on how to determine the relative costs of steam and electrical pumps.

Fourth General Meeting. 27th May 1916
Deep lead and Drift Mining. M T TaylorMAIME.
This short paper was abut the Loddon ValleyGoldfields, Victoria, Australia.
There are no notes on any discussion and there was no other business conducted
.
Transactions Volume V

1916 – 1917 Session

This volume is a slim paperback containing only two papers presumably reflecting the problems of getting papers, the difficulty experienced by the printing industry and probably the shortage of paperat that stage of the war. These together hardly justified a hard bound volume.

The volume cotains a financial statement for 1916 and the list of Officers and Council Member for 1917.

President: H W Hutchin
Vice Presidents: F C Cann, R D Gill, W James
Past Presidents: J Paull, J Jennings, L A Hards
Council Members
Miningl: J W Chenhall, J Faull, W Hosking, M T Taylor, Ernest Terrell
Mechanical: B Angwin, C D Bartle, W J Jelbert, H Nettle, John Rowe
Metallurgical: R H Berrymn, E H Davison, S Furye, T C F Hall, W Mill.
Treasurer: H W Hutchin
Secretaries: Joseph Blight, William Thomas.
Auditors: H Nettle, T Berryman.

There is a also a list of all members anmes and addresses.
160 Members, 53 Asociates, 13 Annual Subscribers (Including 6 Companies/Mines)

Annual General Meeting. 10th March 1917
LA Hards in the Chair commented on th difficulty, already subject of comments, of obtaining papers. He also noted that 43 Members or Associates were in H M Forces or engaged on semi-military work. He then invited Mr H W Hutchin, the new President, to take the Chair.
A paper on the Mines, Lodes and minerals of the Stennack Valley, St Ives was delivered by F C Cann, AIMM. He spoke about the long history of mining the area but said that copper mining in 1856, tin in 1874 and shallow loads and dumps at surface level struggling on until 1888.
Mining was restarted in 1910 by the St Ives Consols aand Rosewell Hill Mines. There was an interesting discussion on the occurence of the uranium ore, pitchblende, in Standard Lode, the main lode in the district. The paper had some interesting comments on the extraction of uranium and radium after Mme Curie’s discovery of radium. This could be one of the first academic discussion on uranium/radium in Cornwall although there had been mining since the restart of mining in 1888 and intermitently at the South Terras Mine at St Stephen since 1873.

General Meeting, 2nd June, 1917
Tungsten, Paper by the President, Mr H W Hutchin, ARCSc, FCS, MIMM.
The talk started with what are descibed as some “interesting experiments” at the start.
He explained the considerable importance of tungsten to the present situation. He idetified about 16 different compounds of tungsten.

It occurs in the Great Cross Course in the lodes of East Pool, Carn Brea, Tincroft and South Crofty. It also occurs at St Day and in small quantities at Treavean. There is no mention of either Castle an Dinas (St Coulomb) or Cligga. It mainly occurs as Scheelite (CaWO4). The paper discussed the extraction of the metal which had all been done in Germany before the war. An attempt to start extraction in this coutry was made in about 1907 but it was not carried through. The outbreak of war revived interest and a combine of steelmakers revived proposal under the title High Speed Alloys Ltd on an un-named site purchased for the original. other organisations in the UK had started making ferro-tungsten, e.g. the Thermo-Electric Co and the Continuous Reaction Syndicate.
After a short discussion the meeting was closed.

Transactions Volumes VI – IX

1918 – 1920

These four volumes were bound in a single hard-back cover.

VOLUME VI

The title page on Vol VI  details the Officers and Members of Council for 1918.
President: M T Taylor.
Vice-Presidents:J Faull; C D Bartle; W James.
Past Presidents: Josiah Paull; Joseph Jennings; L A Hards; H W Hutchin.
Members of Council:
Mining: F C Cann; J W Chenhall; W Hosking; Ernest Terrell; T Negus.
Mechanical: Ben Angwin; R D Gill, W Jelbert; H Nettle; John Rowe
Metallurgical: R H Berryman; E H Davison; S Furge; T C F Hall; W Mill.
Treasurer: H W Hutchin.
Secretaries: Joseph Blight: William Thomas.

First General Meeting 17 Sep 1917
Held at the Camborne Mining School with the President , H W Hutchin in the Chair.
He rminded members that the Council had drawn attention to the finances of the Institute the increasing amount of arrears. this was naturally due to the war conditions but the work of the Institute could not be carried on without funds as costs, particularly for printing were greatly increased.

He then delivered his talk on “Calcination”. This was a technically detailed paper and it was decied to adjourn the discussion which eventually took place after the AGM on 16th February, 1918.

First General Meeting 27th Oct, 1917.
Paper on “Modern Mining Explosives” was delivered by Mr Harry Rich.
The meeting was closed after a discussion there being no other business.

Second General Meeting, 5th January 1918.
A paper on “Hoisting Operations” was given by Mr Henry Nettle, AMIMechE.
This was a very long and wide ranging talk covering the history of rope making as well as the specific subject of hoisting. It occupied 73 pages of the transactions and 39 photographs shown as magic lantern slides at the talk.

He started with the bible story of Delilah binding Samson with ropes then proceded with a photograph of a “modern”rope used in the launching of the “Great Eastern”. It was one of the largest ropes ever made; 47 inches in circumference, made up of 4 strands containing a total of 3780 yarns. He then spoke about the man engine invented in Germany in the 1830s. The Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society had commissioned Mr Tregolls, a civil engineer, to prepare plans of the German engine. He estimated that 10,000 miners using this device might save £39,000 per annum and the owners of Tresavean mine agreed to instal one working to a depth of 24 fathoms, extending it to 280 fathoms if it was successful. The cost for the whole depth was estimated as £1670 and the Polytechnic Society agreed to contribute £300 for the first 100 fathoms and £200 for the second. The first 27 fathoms were installed in 1842 and by the autumn of 1843 had reached the bottom of the mine. United Mines, Gwenap installed one in 1845 at a cost of £2,00 and Fowey Consols followed in 1851 to a depth of 1680 feet.
There is no report of any discussion or of any other business.

AGM. 16th Feb 1918
The President, Mr Hutchin was in the chair and he noted that the Institute had completed 5 years of its existence.
Council Report  for 1917/18
Vol V of the Transactions has been published.
A year ago the Council had reported that income scarcely met expectation and it might be necessary to revise subscription rates. This had been recently discussed at a Council meeting attended by 2/3 of Council Members which recommended that that steps needed to be taken to increase the annual subscription. Consequently the annual General Meeting had become special in order that an alteration of the Costitution and By-laws should be considered and if deemed advisable that the following resolution should be accepted:
“That the Constitution and By-laws should be altered so that the subscriptions for Members shouldbe increased from 10/- to £1 and for Associates and Subcribing Members from 5/- to 10/- and all Members and Asociates elected after Jan 5th 1918 and all existing Members and Associates be aproachd to voluntarily increase their subscriptions from 1st Jan 1918.”

VOLUME VII

President: R D Gill
Vice Presidents: J Faull; CD Bartle; E H Davison
Past Presidents: Josiah Paull; Joseph Jennings; L A Hards; H W Hutchin; M T Taylor
Members of Council:
Mining: F C Cann; P James; W Hosking; T Negus; Ernest Terrell.
Mechanical: Ben Angwin; J Davies; W Jelbert; H Nettle; John Rowe
Metallurgical: R H Berryman; J W Chenhall; S Furge; T C F Hall; W Mill.
Treasurer: H W Hutchin.
Secretaries: Joseph Blight: William Thomas.
Auditors: H Berryman; Henry Nettle.

Financial Statement for year ending 31st December, 1918
Receipts:
Subs: £111/12/6; Subs in advance: £11/2/0; Special subs: £10/-/-; Sale of Transctions: £2/5/0
TOTAL: £124/19/6

Expenditure;
Debit Balance on 31st December 1917; £34/7/8
Printing & Stationery: £20/0/8
Meetings £2/12/0
Salaries: £40/0/0
Postage & Sundry Expenses; £7/0/0
Cheque Book : £2/0/0
TOTAL: £94/2/4

Balance in Treasurer, hands 31 Dec 1918 £30/17/2

First General Meeting Oct 26 1918.
“The Treatment of Low Grade Pitchblende”, Henry Bailey, MIMM, FCS
Talk shows level of interest in radium and in particular radium because of its use in medicine since discovery by Mme Curie.

Second General Meeting Dec 7th 1918
“Diamond Drilling’, J A McVicar.
The use of diamond drills in Prospecting, and drilling vertical and horizontal holes and fans of holes.
After the talk the Prsident, Mr MT Taylor said the use of diamond drills had been a thorough success at East Pool. Operating costs worked out at 11/- per foot. It was particularly usefullin dtermining values where several holes need to be drilled. In one case, presumably at East Pool, a bore gave 9lb tin per ton and another 3 feet away gave 40lb per ton.
Josiah Paull said diamond drilling had been in use at South Crofty for 15 months.

Third General Meeting Apr 26 1919
“On the use of the Microscope in the Examination of Dressing Products and Veinstones”, E H Davies, BSC FGS.
An interesting but highly specialised topic. There was no report of any discussion and no other business was conducted.

VOLUME VIII
Oficers & Council Members for 1920;
President: ; E H Davison
Vice Presidents: W Hosking; Ben Angwin; R H Berryman;
Past Presidents: Josiah Paull; Joseph Jennings; L A Hards; H W Hutchin; M T Taylor; R D Gill
Members of Council:
Mining: T E Bennett; F C Cann; J Faull; E Gordon; A Richards.P James; T Negus; Ernest Terrell.
Mechanical:  J Davies; M Gregory; W Jelbert; H Nettle; John Rowe
Metallurgical:  Henry Baile; J W Chenhall; S Furge; T C F Hall; W Mill.
Treasurer: H W Hutchin.
Secretaries: Joseph Blight: William Thomas.
Auditors: H Berryman; Henry Nettle.

Financial Statement for year ending 31st December, 1919
Balance on 31st December 1918; £30/17/2
Receipts:
Subs: £118/5/0; Subs in advance: £18/7/6; Sale of Transctions: £4/19/6
TOTAL: £172/9/2

Expenditure;

Printing & Stationery: £75/9/2

Balance at 31 Dec 1919 £46/9/2

First General Meeting 25th Oct 1919.
The Chairman, R D Gill referred to the Levant Mining Disaster on 20th October when 30 men lost their lives. It was agreed to send a message of sympathy to Col C F Oates, Chairman of Levant Mine.
Council Report
The Council reported that the Institute had not only contrived to maintain a comparatively active and useful existence through difficult conditions during the last five years, but had increased membership through the period of the war.
It had been hoped to resume consideration of several matters held in abeyance; matters related to suggested extended activities in the institute’s operations.
However, Council had decided to continue with the present system of operating during the 1919/1920 session and hoped the supply of papers will be enough to maintain monthly meetings during the season.

The Chairman, R D Gill gave an address on “The Inventions of James Watt”
He said he occupied the Chair as a Mechanical Engineer, hence the subject of his talk.
The started by mentioning Savory’s engine installed at Wheal Vor. Savory’s engines were very expensive to operate and were superceded by Newcomen’s design first installed in Cornwall at Wheal Fortune followed by many others and eventually there was scarcely a mine in Cornwall that did not have a Newcomen engine at work. Hornblower and Smeaton made several improvements and the “famous Chacewater engine remained unrivalled until superceded Watt’s invention”.
Watt’s First engine in Cornwall was installed at Wheal Busy and it was followed by many others. Gill continued with reference to Watt’s other inventions and touched on his dispute with richard Trevithick. The talk was supported by many slides but these were not reproduced in the Transactions.
There was no report of a discusion and there was no other business conducted.

The Transactions included a paper entitled “Recovery and Losses of Tin at Giew Mill”. It was not presented at a meeting but was published by the Institute at the request the Cornish Sub-Committee of the Tin and Tungsten Research Committee. It had initially been published by the Institution of Mining and Metallurgy by request of the Tin and Tungsten Research Comittee.

Second General Meeting 24th Jan 1920.
“The Giew Mill”, S Furge. It gave detailed information on the construction and opration of the claifornian Stamps and screens manufactured by J & F Pool of Hayle, the Tube Mill made by Francis & Chalmers and used to grind middlings from the Buss tables.
This paper occupied 30 pages of the Transactions.

Third General Meeting 13th Mar 1920.
“ The Passagem Mine of the Ouro Preto Gold Mines of Brazil Ltd.”, Maurice Gregory, AMIEE.
After spending nearly a fifth of the allotted time on the geology of the area, Mr Gregory then said “It is not within the scope of this paper to discuss fully the gelogical features of the district”.
He gave very detailed information on all aspects of the mine’s operations down to the the types of miners‘ lamps and the ‘sanitary arrangements‘ underground.
During the ensuing short discussion E H Davison expressed admiration of the completeness of detail presented. As usual the talk was illustrated with lantern slides.

Fourth General Meeting (Summer Meeting) 19th Jun 1920.
The meeting took place by invitation of St Ives Mines Ltd and Geevor Mine.
The party assembled at St Erth station to proceed to Giew Mine and Geevor Mine to inspect the surface plant and the dressing machinery. The President and 36 members attended and were given lunch at Geevor. At the end of the visit the party went to Land’s End for tea at the hotel and then went to Penzance to catch the last train.

Fifth General Meeting 16th Sep 1920.
At the start of the meeting the Chairman (Mr Hosking), referred to the fact that that Cornish Mining was passing through a temporay cloud.
“On the Characters of Some Cornish Veinstones”, E H Davison.
This meeting was read at a meeting inaugurated by the Royal Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society’s exhibition held in the Public rooms, Camborne where it unfortunately proved impossible to provide suitable lighting conditions for proper use of the latern to show the many slides used to support this very detailed paper.
After as very short discussion it was decided to adjourn the discussion until 12th December when Mr Davison would show all the slides with which there had been such difficulty.

VOLUME IX
Oficers & Council Members for 1921:
President: W Hosking ;
Vice Presidents: F C Cann; Ben Angwin; R H Berryman;
Past Presidents: Josiah Paull; Joseph Jennings; L A Hards; H W Hutchin; M T Taylor; R D Gill; E H Davison
Members of Council:
Mining: T E Bennett; A C Clarke, T E Bennett; E Gordon; J Nile; A Richards.
Mechanical: T Berryman; M Gregory; W Jelbert; H Nettle; John Rowe
Metallurgical:  Henry Bailey; J W Chenhall; S Furge; T C F Hall; W Mill.
Treasurer: H W Hutchin.
Secretaries: Joseph Blight: William Thomas.
Auditors: H Berryman; Henry Nettle.

Financial Statement for year ending 31st December, 1920
Balance on 31st December 1919; £46/11/3
Receipts:
Subs: £105/5/0; Subs in advance: £10/13/6; Sale of Transctions: 12/6
TOTAL: £163/2/3

Expenditure;
Printing & Stationery: £5/9/2
Meetings: £2/12/-
Postage, etc; £11/6/6

Balance at 31 Dec 1920 £57/11/3

First General Meeting 20th Nov 1920.
“The Application of Formulas in Ore Dressing”; RT Hancock AMIMM. The author was unable to be present so the President gave a resume of the paper which had been distributed before the meeting. This is quite a detailed paper and would be potentially important if prosperity returned to Cornish Mining. It pointed out that there were problems in terminology and methods of measurement which could lead to different results in assessing productivtity. There was some discussion on the usefulness of the Frue Vanner.

Note the adjourned meeting from 16 Sept on 12th December took the place of the Second General Meeting.

Third General Meeting 18th Dec 1920.
“The application of Reinforced Concrete to Cornish Tin Dressing Plant”. Ernest Gordon, AMIMM.
This was a detailed description of the use of reinforced concrete in the construction of the surface workings at Porkellis Mine, locally known as Basset & Grylls just after the war to make use of a large reserve. Decided in 1919 to erect a mill capable of treating 100 tons a day. Concrete was used to a large extent because of the high price of timber.

The reinforcement was provided by using strands of old winding cables unstranded by hand in 100 feet lengths which gave six strands roughly 3/8 inch in diameter. It was degreased by being coild up and heated in the firebox of a boiler. The sand used was the washed refuse of old alluvial tin streamers and Portland cement was used. A wheelbarrow was used as the standard unit for messy ingredients!

Shaft to Mill Tramline: A 100 tone capacity ore bin was made at the shaft and a 900 ft double tramway with endless rope haulage constructed. A cutting through a field and gateway 228 feet at highest point long and 23 feet high was erected. All fence posts, sleepers and gantry legs were of reinforced concrete.
The talk was illustrated with a number of slides which unfortunately were not reproduced in the Transactions.
During the discussion which followed many other instances of the use of congrete were described  including the use of winding rope for reinforcement. Arthur Richards spoke at length of his own experience. He said that one of the early use was for the calciner flues at North Pool and Tolgus in the Tolgus valley. Capt W Thomas said that about 7 years earlier, i.e. about 1913 when there was a rail strike he had used 40 old heads and feet of iron beadsteads to reinforce a concrete arch at Redruth. It was a case of subsidence due to old workings underneath near the park. He said the engine loadings at KEM were so constructed that a daylight inspection of the whole foundations and holding down bolts was rendered posssible without a change of coat!

Fourth General Meeting 19th Feb 1921.
“Treatment of Quicksilver Ores in China”  Frank Trythall

Based on experiences in China in 1901 to 1903.
Description of ocurence of ore (cinnebar). Mining regulations were issued by the Imperial Court but generally ignored.
There were so-called “Public Mines” which were old mines abandoned by Companies but with patches of ore worth working by free lance operators who paid a “hammer tax” of 600 cash (1/7) to the local magistrate. The working conditions were terible. as Trythall says “Ventilation does not worry Chinese miners. The imperfect combustion of explosives, smoke from oil lamps, filthy habits of workers many of whom practically lived in the mines for fear that any ore they had collected might be stolen.”

Private mines were owned by Companies and the miners were paid either on a daily rate or on a Tribute system. Miners on a daily rate had to sharpen their own drills before entering the mine then drill and fire two 15 inch holes single handed with a 7lb hammer and 3/4 inch iron drill tipped with steel and sharpened at both ends. They worked at most 6 hours a dayand every sixth day was a market and pay day.
The tributers supplied their own tools, explosives, etc. and worked without restriction on the ground allocated to them by the Company but the ore had to be taken to the Company smelter and the miner was paid on the amount of quicksilver obtained with the Company keeping a percentage  of the price.

AGM Feb 19th 1921
The retiring President E H Davison was in Chair.
Council Report: The Council eported that despite the prevailing conditions in all things pertaining to mining in Cornwall the ICE had not only maintained its strength but had obtained a larger number of interesting and useful papers. The credit balance had risen form £46/11/3 to £57/11/7. during the war the printing of papers in advanced of meetings had been stopped but had now been restarted. However the Council did not feel justified in recommending any expenditure in new directions.

Fifth General Meeting 19th Mar 1921.
“Method for Straightening an Irregular Boundary”, C W Walter, Stud IMM. He was the first student from the CMS to present a paper.
The paper described techniques for straightening irregular boundaries, especially relating to disputes. The discussion is more interesting than the paper.
Capt Thomas mentioned boundary disputes between West Kitty and Wheal Kitty, between Wheal Grenville and South Condurrow and between Wheal Agar and East Pool.The last eventually resulted in the amalgamation of the to mines while the St Agnes problem was solved by amicable arbitration. The Wheal Grenville and South Condurrow dispute resulted in a case before the Stannery Court in Truro. Both had made encroachments on the other (the boundary was crooked road). In aggregte WG had encroache by 76.18 cubic fathoms and SC had stoped 35.86 cubic fathoms of Grenville ore. The case lasted 16 days so costs were heavy. Five surveys were produced as evidence and the judge went underground to see the alleged encroachments. He did not give his decision until several weeks after he had finished taking evidence. Each Company had eventually to pay the other for the ore extracted “in error” on a valuation. WG had to pay 3/4 of costs and SC 1/4. The total costs were much greater than the values of the contents of the encroachments.

VOLUME X

(Issued in 1925)

Officers & Council Members, 1921/22
President: W Hosking ;
Vice Presidents: F C Cann; Ben Angwin; R H Berryman;
Past Presidents: Josiah Paull; Joseph Jennings; L A Hards; H W Hutchin; M T Taylor; R D Gill; E H Davison
Members of Council:
Mining: T E Bennett; A C Clarke, T E Bennett; E Gordon; J Nile; A Richards.
Mechanical: T Berryman; M Gregory; W Jelbert; H Nettle; John Rowe
Metallurgical:  Henry Bailey; J W Chenhall; S Furge; T C F Hall; W Mill.
Treasurer: H W Hutchin.
Secretaries: Joseph Blight: William Thomas.
Auditors: H Berryman; Henry Nettle.

Financial Statement for year ending 31st December, 1921
Income: £142/7/1, including balance of £57/11/7 at 31 Dec 1920, 10/- from sale of Transactions and contriubtions towards Miners Unemployment Fund.
Expenditure: £109/8/8 including £25 to Miners Unemployment Fund.
Balance at 31 Dec: £32/8/5

Presentation of paper & Discussion on suspension of mining in Cornwall and Council Action.

AGM Feb 6th 1922
The President said that a scheme for the resucitication of mining in the Camborne – Redruth District had been discussed by Council. It had been dispatched to London (to Tin & Tungsten Ctte?). There was little to add except that it was good to that this work had been completed.
Council Report: Both membership and income had fallen because of circumstances. Membership was down to 186, about 50 in the year. The Council was compelled to be careful in incurring printing expenditure but Volume IX of the Transactions had been published.

The President then introduced Mr Reginald H Smythe who was not a member of the Institute but had agred to contribute “Notes on the Treatment of Slimes particularly relating to Tin”.  His talk was illustrated by as series of slides showing particles in water and the manner in which their fall could be accelerated by the addition of lime, alum and other substances. A discussion followed but neither the paper, the slides nor notes on the discussion were printed in the Transactions.

General Meeting 24th Feb 1923.
The President, W Hosking, alluding to the the outlook in the tin industry remarked that the comprehensive scheme which had been discussed by the CIE had been divided in two for the convenience of the Dolcoath Group and the district generally and he hoped Dolcoath would succeed in the flotation of half of it. He understood that matters were moving in the right direction and that further intercesion with the Trades Facilities Committee of the Government was likely to help the scheme.In the Camborne – Redruth area there were indications of industrial improvement.

The President announced that an Industrial Mining Exhibition would be held in the Agricultural Hall in London in June and that the Council had reserved a ground space of 40 ft by 20 ft in the interests of the Cornish mining industry and had appointed a Committee to make the necessary arrngements with the object of securing a fitting representation of Cornish mining and china clay interests. The cost of the site was £200 and it was thought that a sum of £500 to £600 should be obtained to cover the proposed expenditure.

Capt. Wm Thomas presented a paper on “Cliff Mining in Cornwall”.

No discussion on any of these topics was reported in the Transactions.

General Meeting 8th Mar 1924.
The President, W Hosking, said that due to recent period of suspension of mining oprations in Cornwall and the consequent difficulties in the way of arranging the usual meetings for the discussion of papers on technical subjects the Institute had been quiet but not inactive. Much work had been put into the big scheme of development of the Camborne – Redruth mineral area. Some said the scheme was too big to be carried out under the depressed circumstances through which they had recently passed. However, if one looked at the area today the there would be evidence of the Institute’s own plans from east to west, from Tolgus to Roskear. Moreover, the continuation from the Togus eastern boundary to Peevor was under grant to companies or to responsible individuals.

The institute had carried though the organisation of the Cornish display at the International Mining Exhibition in London.

AGM Apr 12th 1924

Mr Hosking, President, intoduced his successor, Mr B Angwin .

COUNCIL REPORT, 1924.
During the suspension of mining operations in Cornwall the Cornish Institute of Engineers lost many of its members, and its finances were so affected that it was found to be impossible to proceed upon the lines formerly adopted. It was extremely difficult to secure a supply of papers; but the President, supported by the Council, took the lead, at a series of meetings during 1922, in directing attention to the merits of the Camborne-Redruth mining area and may safely be congratulated upon results, because, from the Roskears to the Peevors, all the mining setts upon that Northern range of lodes are now under grant to responsible companies or individuals.

Last year it was resolved to organize the Cornish section for the International Mining Exhibition in London. It was a serious undertaking and a new departure. No other institution would tackle the work. But the sum of £618 5s. was raised and expended, and the Cornwall Exhibit, organized upon an extensive and industrially representative scale was very heartily supported and proved to be entirely successful.

The action of the Council, during the suspension of mining operations, in relation to matters which originally were not considered to be exactly within the province of the Cornish Institute of Engineers, has been generally welcomed and commended; and the Council feel satisfied that the results attained fully justify the action taken.

With the resumption of mining operations in various parts of the County it is found practicable to resume, at least, some of the former activities of the Institute, especially in regard to the holding of meetings and reading of technical papers. Arrangements have also been made for a Summer Meeting on June 28th, when members will visit the English China Clay Works, the Kingsdown Mine and Treamble.

At a period when finances were low and a degree of uncertainty existed as to the recovery of Cornish mining operations, it was considered wise, and necessary, to withhold further printing of “Transactions.” This matter has received re-consideration, with the result that the Council have decided, while postponing the printing of two or three papers, to condense others ; and to publish forthwith Volumes VI, VII. and VIII. The funds available are not sufficient to publish these volumes in full, as originally intended. Under the circumstances they are to be published in such a form as may be permitted by finances.

During the War and the subsequent period of depression, subscriptions in a number of cases fell considerably in arrear, a misfortune consequent upon post-war conditions, sympathetically recognised and understood. The usual steps were not taken to secure payment of arrears. In the opinion of the Council the circumstances were—and are—such that they feel justified in wiping out any arrears existing up to the end of 1922.
They take this opportunity of expressing to those members, who have not already paid their subscriptions for 1923 and 1924, a desire that. tlie subscriptions for these two years should be paid at once. Upon the payment of these subscriptions the operations of the Institute in the immediate future must depend.

The. following is a list of Officers and Members of the
Council for 1924-5.

President : BEN. ANGWIN.
Vice Presidents:  F. C. CANN. M. GREGORY. R. H, BERRYMAN.
Past Presidents: JOSIAH PAULL, Jos. JENNINGS, L. A. HARDS, H. W. HUTCHIN,
M. T. TAYLOR, P. D. GILL, E. IT. DAVISON, WM. HOSKING.

MEMBERS OF COUNCIL:

Mining :                    Mechanical :                Metalliurgical :

T. E. BENNETT,      T. BERRYMAN,               HENRY BAILEY,
J. J. BLIGHT,           W. JELBERT,                  J. W. CHENHALL,
E. GORDON,           HY. NETTLE,                  S. FURZE,
J. NILE,                   JOHN ROWE,                 T. C. F. HALL,
A RICHARDS.       R. DE H. ST. STEPHENS. W. MILL.

Treasurer : H. W. HUTCHIN.
Auditors: THOS. BERRYMAN & HY. NETTLE.
Secretaries: JOSEPH BLIGHT, & WILLIAM THOMAS.

A financial statement for the two years ending 31st December 1923 was presented.
Income:
£147/14/11, including £32/8/5 balance at 31st December 1921
Expenditure:
£128/13/-
Balance in hand on 31 Dec 1923  £19/1/11.

Mr de St Stephens, ARSM presented a paper on “Steel: An Outlne of its Manufacture and Treatment”
The following synopsis was printed in the Proceedings:
“Definition and composition of steels. Methods of Manufacture. Cementation steels. Crucible steels. Puddled steels. Bessemer steels. Acid and basic open-hearth steels. Acid and basic electronically welded steels. Ignots and csting temperatures. Forging & Rolling. Iron-carbon diagram and its relation to hardening, carbonising and heat treatment generally. Alloy steels.”

Discussion followed in which Messrs Angwn, Berryman, Davison, Gregory and Nettle took part. A vote of thanks followed.

Summer Meeting. Saturday 21st Jun 1924
Trevelled from Camborne to Kingsdown Mine then to Hendra Clay Works for two hours before going to Rock Inn for “croust”. Thereafter to treamble, Parranzabuloe where the old iron works were inspected reminding them of time when an attempt was made to exploit the Great Perran Lode. At 5pm the party went to the Red House Restaurant at Perranporth.

General Meeting13th Dec 1924.
The President, Ben Angwin in the chair introduced Joseph Blight who spoke on “ Some Diagrams I have Taken” referring to engine performance diagrams which were common at the time. No discussion was recorded.

General Meeting 24th Jan 1925.
E H Davison delivered a paper on “The Geological Basis for the Estimation of Cornish Mineral Areas.” which was followed by a discussion.

General Meeting 4th Apr 1925.
William Thomas delivered a paper on “Some Cornish Mines now Underwater” which gave details of several cases to the south of Camborne.

AGM Apr 25th 1925
Ben Angwin Presided.

Council Report
A year ago the Council reported a success attending their efforts led by Mr Hosking to direct attention to the commercial importance of the Camborne – Redruth mining area and useful work was done by the Institute in carrying through the Cornish Mining Section at the International Mining Exhibition in London. He commented on the slow progress then being made towards a recovery of the industry and the effects reflected on the Institute activities – falling off in membership (and subscriptions) and the difficulty in obtaining a supply of papers.
However, it was noted with satisfaction that conditions had started to improve in that there was less unemployment & the general outlook for mining is much better than it was a year ago. Seven new members have joined.

In the 1922 – 23 and 1923 – 24 only two papers per session were obtained  but for the current season a full syllabus of six papers had been arranged and three for the next session. Publication of Transactions was prevented by lack of funds and it was intended to issue them in condenced form. Delay has had the advantage and cutting down of pages which seemed unavoidable is no longer necessary.

The Summer meeting has been arranged for Saturday July 4th (1925) to visit Tresavean mine and the granite quarries.
Camborne UDC has granted facilities to a sub-Committee of the Council consisting of E H Davison, M Gregory, W Hosking Jos Paull & William Thomas for making periodic inspections along the main excavations  north of Camborne and in the tunnel at North Cliffs and recording geological observations. The contractors, Messrs Carkeek & Sons Ltd.

Officers & Council Members for 1925 /26
President : S Furze
Vice-Presidents: F C Cann, M Gregory, R H Berryman.
Past Presidents: Josiah Paull; Joseph Jennings; L A Hards; H W Hutchin; M T Taylor; R D Gill; E H Davison, W Hosking, B Angwin.
Members of Council:
Mining: R G Allen, JJ Blight,  E Gordon; J Nile; A Richards.
Mechanical: T Berryman; H Nettle; John Rowe, J B Violl, V Williams
Metallurgical:  Henry Bailey; E Furze; T C F Hall; W Mill; R de H St Stephen; L V trwarthe
Treasurer: H W Hutchin.
Secretaries: Joseph Blight: William Thomas.
Auditors: H Berryman; Henry Nettle.

Accounts for Year Ending Dec 31st 1924
Balance at Jan 1st 1924    £19/1/11
Subs for 1924        £71/12/-
Subs in Advance        £13/4/-
TOTAL            £84/16/-

Sale of Transactions    £-/3/4
Surplus from Summer Mtg    £1/14/-

GRAND TOTAL        £105/15/3

Expenditure
Printing & Stationery    £20/-/-
Lantern Slides        £1/4/-
Meetings (room hire)    £2/12/-
Salaries            £40/-/-
Postage & Sundry Exp    £8/19/-
GRAND TOTAL        £72/15/-

Balance at 31st Dec 1924    £33/0/3

The President then handed over to his succesor, Mr Sydney Furze who invited Mr Maurice Gregory tp present his paper on “The Production of Uranium at South Terras Mine”. This was followed by a short discussion.

Summer Meeting 1925

After meeting at Camborne the members went to Tresavean Mine where they were met by the Manager, Mr J Faull. They visited the surface plant an the dressing floor before leaving for the Magdalen Mine at Ponsanoth. The operationthere are on a stock-work of tin veins in slate and greenstone which had been worked as open-work but a new shaft ws being sunk to facilitate working to a greater depth. The Manager, Mr Ernest Gordon showed the visitors over the dressing floors where magnetic separation forms part of the ore treatment.  They then visited Ponsanooth Quarry under the guidance of E H Davison.
Following visits to Gweek, Trelowarren and Crowson serpentine quarries the party went to Coverack for “high tea” and returned to Camborne about 9 p.m.

The first General Meeting of the 1925 – 26 session was held on 12th September 1925 when a paper on “the Evolution of Cornish Dresing Machinery” was presented by the President Mr S Furze. This is a long, interesting paper and the the discussion was adjourned until 10th October, but it was not reported.

The General  Meeting on on 7th November had a paper presented by Joseph Blight on “The Inventions of Trevithick with Special Reference to the Locomotive”. It contains a very detailed description of the first run on Christmas Eve 1801 purporting to have been given by Stephen Williams who claimed to have ridden on that run.

The General Meeting on 12th December 1925 had a paper on “The Geological Features Exposed  in the Camborne Drainage Scheme” presented by E H Davison, BSc, FGS. The new drain which gave rise to the paper was to run from Troon in the south down through Camborne to join an existing drain. There was an interesting discussion in which there were comments deploring reports in the press that the drain had found a 30 ft load which produced 60 ounces of silver to the ton. D Gill-Jenkin who has worked on the geological observations said it was not the 30ft load that had produced the galena yielding sixty ounces of silver to the ton but another lode about 5ft wide which had yielded 60 ounces to the ton.

At the end of the meeting the President tendered thanks to mr A K Hamilton-Jenkin, St Ives,for his recent address to the Cornish Association in London when he had said the “Cornwall is not done. Cornwall, perhaps, has made some mistakes, but Cornwall has had many great and wonderful successes in the past and I feel sure the future will reveal as great mineral wealth as has ever been extracted in the past. Good profits will yet be made by the mines”

Advertisements